Saturday, August 24, 2013

Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Lasagna

























This recipe came from weelicious.com, found on Pinterest. I changed just a bit to suit our tastes. For the spices I used 3 teaspoons of Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning from Boulder Spice Company. Was pleased the way the recipe turned out. Serves 8. Would be great for breakfast, lunch or dinner...

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion (I used Vidalia)
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used the entire 8 oz container)
  • 1 cup carrots (peeled and grated)
  • 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted (I used 1 whole diced sweet red pepper)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 2 cups cheese (I used pepper jack)
  • 2 16 oz mild chunky salsa (I used Muir Glen)
Directions:
Heat the olive oil in large saute pan and cook the onions for 3 minutes. (I added the chopped red pepper at this time). Add the garlic and saute briefly.

Add the ground turkey, seasonings, and salt and cook 6-7 minutes until cooked through. Set aside to cool.

Combine the beaten egg and sour cream. Add to the cooled turkey along with carrots, corn (if use), and cilantro.

I grease the inside of my crock pot. Spread one cup salsa on the bottom of the crock pot. Layer 5 tortillas, cutting them if necessary to fit the bottom and covering the salsa completely.

Place 1/2 turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with one cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheese.

Add another layer of 3 tortillas. Pour the remaining turkey mixture on top and top with 1/2 cup of cheese.

Top with another layer of 3 tortillas, pour remaining salsa on top and cover with 1 cup of cheese.

Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. 

I served with a soft fried egg and additional green chili. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment