Thursday, May 14, 2015

Crustless Spinach Quiche

















I bought two bunches of fresh spinach and needed to use before it saw better days. I was thumbing through my old printed recipe books and ran across this recipe; which I believe I never made... I have been madly making Green Chili Sauce (blog: 4/15/13) from last years frozen roasted green chilies and had some unthawed in the refrigerator. The original recipe called for 10 ounces of frozen spinach. I just wilted the chopped two bunches of spinach in a little olive oil in substitute. I also used one large shallot in place of the onion.  Below is the original recipe. I have been eating this for lunch; high in protein and packed with vegetables.

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup roasted green chilies, chopped or 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, grated
  • 3/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 7 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbles or 1 small block feta, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Spray or grease a 10-inch springform pan with canola oil. I had to dust my pan off as have not used it in a LONG time! Preheat oven to 350-degree.

As I mentioned I wilted the chopped spinach in a little olive oil and removed from skillet to cool.













Add the 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and zucchini. Saute to crisp tender. Remove and cool.













Add the roasted green chilies to the cooling zucchini mixture.













Combine the beaten eggs to the ricotta and feta cheeses. Salt and pepper to taste.


























Add the cooled remaining ingredients to the egg mixture and combine well.
Pour into prepared pan, placing the pan on a baking sheet.













Bake 45-50 minutes until slightly brown on the edges and middle is set.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from springform ring. I ran a spatula around the edges before releasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment