Sunday, December 19, 2021

Tex-Mex Cheese Crisps



This recipe will make a great appetizer. They came together fast and makes a goodly amount. I baked up 1/2 of the recipe and froze the unbaked portion. I also froze the batch that I baked. Hope all this pans out, so to speak. I made my own garlic salt because did not have any on hand. I also weighed out all ingredients on my handy dandy kitchen scale.

Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cup flour (215g)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt (3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 6 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, chopped (200g)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 6 1/2 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated (200g)
Directions:
I used parchment paper on baking sheets for easy clean up.

Preheat oven to 415-degrees.

Place flour, chili powder, garlic salt and paprika into a food processor. Pulse to combine.

Add the cubed butter and pulse until resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add the egg and cheese and pulse until mixture comes together.

Form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes. I made this ahead and chilled much longer. If you do this allow dough to set out at room temperature until dough can be rolled on a lightly floured surface.

Roll 1/8-inch thickness with a rolling pin and cut into 2 1/2 -inch shapes. Place on parchment lined sheets, allowing room for spreading.

Bake for 12 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.

Leave on tray to cool for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Store at room temperature and to serve; finish with a grind of salt on the tops.

This makes ALOT; so recommend halving!


No comments:

Post a Comment