Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Wild Rice Burger with Bacon and Cheese

 


Pretty darn good veggie burger from MollyYeh on Girl Meets Farm. I am including in the recipe Pickled Red Onion. I did not make this as I had just bought scallions at the farmer's market. I added one large scallion to the burger mix. I also substitued rough chopped pine nuts because I did not have sunflower seeds. I also substituted a Baharat spice blend instead of the paprika and Lake Shore spice blend in place of the onion powder. This makes 4 generous patties.

Ingredients for the Burger:

  • 3 cups cooked wild rice ( I used Lundberg Wild Rice Blend) (One cup dry makes just over 3 cups)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup panko plus 2 tablespoons ( I used gluten-free panko that I seasoned and toasted)
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds ( I used toasted pine nuts, rough chopped)
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 large scallion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder ( I was out so used Lake Shore spice blend)
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika ( I used Baharat spice blend)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt ( I did not have)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • canola oil
  • 4 slices cheese of choice

    To Assemble:
    • Mayonnaise
    • 4 Hamburger buns 
    • 8 slices crispy bacon
    • butter lettuce leaves
    • Dijon mustard
    Pickled Red Onions:
    • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    Directions for making Pickled Red Onion:
    In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup water. Heat, stirring, until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour over the red onions and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

    Directions for making burgers:
    In a large mixing bowl, add the rice, Parmesan cheese, panko, pine nuts or sunflower seeds, garlic powder, onion powder (or Lake Shore), paprika (or Baharat), thyme, celery salt, salt and pepper. 

    Mix to combine. Add the eggs. At this point I refrigerated to meld flavors and to assure mixture holds patty shape. Once chilled form into 4 burger patties.

    In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough canola oil to coat bottom. 

    Place patties in the pan and cook 5 minutes per side till golden brown and crispy. To each burger add one slice of cheese and allow to melt.

    To assemble burgers:
    Spread mayonnaise ont the bottom half of each toasted bun.

    Top with burger patty, 2 slices bacon, 1 lettuce leaf and some pickled onions.

    Spread Dijon on the top bun and place on the burger.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment