Monday, June 8, 2020

Hearth Bread

















This recipe makes two loaves. I started out halving the recipe; just to make sure it turned out ok. happily mine looked just like this picture! You can chose to shape the loaves in longer, thinner French style loaves (which I did) or oval Italian ones. I sliced, buttered and sprinkled garlic granules on the pieces and froze in individual servings; ready to heat up. I used my upright mixer's bread hook, but you can check out kingarthurflour.com if you wish to knead by hand. Recipe varies a bit for using mixer.  I also skipped the returning to turned off oven once cooked. Do not like extra crusty bread.  Regret halving the recipe... This bread reminds me of a similar bread I made regularly with my Florida friend, Joanne. We were making yeast bread in our 20's! Such nerds!

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4  teaspoon instant yeast or 1 package dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
  • 5 1/2 - 6 cups flour ( I ended up using 5 1/2 cups)
Directions:
Place all the ingredients in the mixer bowl using the 5 1/2 cups flour. 

Knead the dough at low-medium speed using the dough hook for 10 minutes total time. Dough will be smooth and barely sticking to bottom and sides of bowl.

Place dough in a lightly greased bowl large enough for the dough to double. Cover with plastic wrap until dough doubles; about 1 hour.

Gently deflate the dough, cut in half and shape as desired. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.

Cover with a greased plastic wrap and rise 45 minutes or until noticeably puffy. 

Towards end of rising time preheat oven to 425-degrees.

Brush the loaves generously with lukewarm water and lightly slash the tops of the loaves 3 or more times diagonally. Place pan in the middle rack of oven.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. (I checked at 30 minutes and it was done).

Cool on wire rack. 

Freezes well.



No comments:

Post a Comment