Saturday, April 1, 2023

Lasagna Soup

 


I was inspired to make this soup; as it sounded delicious, but also I attempted homemade burrata (went to a cheese making class recently) and want to utilize in a dish. So instead of the ricotta cheese that is suggested for topping, I am going to use the burrata. I also may try a different pasta, perhaps fanfalle. I will most likely freeze some, but without the pasta or toppings and add them when served.

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (about 10 noodles) or pasta shape of your choice, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 tablespoon EVO, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed or bulk
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I have a Italian blend I use from Spice House)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1-15 ounce crushed or diced tomato
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (I used chopped parsley cause I love parsley)
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan (I going to add this as the topping before serving)
  • Ricotta cheese, for topping
Directions:
Cook noodles according to package instruction, drain, drizzle with olive oil and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir till softened, about 4 minutes. 

Add the sausage, garlic and oregano, stirring and breaking up the sausage. A large whisk works great for this. Cook until the sausage is browned, about 3 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Stir in the heavy cream and chopped basil. (At this point I would freeze if desired.)

Add the cooked pasta to the hot soup.

Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with Parmesan and ricotta cheeses.


No comments:

Post a Comment