Monday, August 3, 2015

Coconut-Lime White Fish Packets for the Grill




















I was watching Food Network and the chefs were talking about how hard it is to grill fish. It was suggested to try grilling in foil packets. Sooo, I hopped on Pinterest and found this recipe on thescrumptiouspumpkin.com. This method is fairly easy in the prep department, the fish cannot stick to the grill and clean-up is a snap.
I did tweak the recipe to our taste and what was available at the Farmer's Market and in the frig. So here you go with the recipe. I am sure to be on the hunt for more "grilling in foil packets"; as this was restaurant quality!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sweet corn kernels, fresh (2 ears) or frozen
  • 1 shallot, sliced (I used a small red onion)
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon jalepeno pepper, minced (my addition)
  • 1 zucchini, sliced (I used 1 large patty pan)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (I used one 5.46 fl. oz can)
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest (I used 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder (Madras Curry Powder (blog: spices: March 23) or store bought)
  • 6 ounces cod (I used two 6 ounce pieces of salmon with skin on)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (I used 1/4 cup)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
The original recipe parboiled the shucked corn for 5 minutes. I did not feel this was necessary with fresh sweet corn. I simply held the corn cob in a bowl, vertically, and sliced down the cob with a knife to release the kernels. Set aside in a large bowl.





The first sweet corn of the season.







Preheat your oven to 400-degrees. I sliced up the patty pan and red onion into large round pieces, brushed with olive oil and salt and pepper on both sides. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool and chop into large chunks. Add to the corn.
(The original recipe did not roast, but chopped up raw).
Add the minced garlic, jalepeno pepper and chopped cilantro to the mixture.













Combine the coconut milk and lemon juice (or lime zest), curry powder (this was my addition) and combine until smooth. Add this to your vegetable mixture.





















My prep chef cleaning cilantro leaves off stems...










Using heavy duty aluminum foil; tear off two 10-inch pieces. Fold in half and open up; as you are going to use the bottom half of the foil to place your prepared foods. I did lightly grease the bottom half;  as I did not add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the coconut milk. Original recipe called for light coconut milk.

Rinse and pat dry your fish.

Divide up the vegetable mixture between the two pieces of foil and then place the fish pieces on top. Salt and pepper to taste.













Fold over the top half of the foil on each packet; matching the top half with the bottom half. Fold up the edges by rolling, forming an air-tight packet.
Roll up the edges on both of the remaining sides of the packet. The key is to roll up the edges so there are no leaks.

Preheat your grill to 400-degrees.

Place the foil packets right side up on a grill pan. We grilled for 7 minutes and then flipped over to cook an additional 7 minutes. Remove flipping once more so the packets are right side up again. (We used both a spatula and thongs to do the flipping.)

Be careful when you are opening the hot packets. I served the dish right out of the foil! 

No comments:

Post a Comment