Monday, February 29, 2016

Spinach and Cheese Egg Bake

















This is so easy and so good! I changed up the original recipe from kalynskitchen.com to suit what I had in the refrigerator. The recipe called for 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions, which I did not have on hand. So I substituted two slices of cooked bacon, crumbled on top. She also used mozzarella cheese and I used cheddar goat cheese. I love recipes that you can tailor to your own or not... This is good both warm or cold and I am sure would have Freezer Queen stamp of approval. If you do freeze; I would unthaw completely in the refrigerator and to heat up; do so in the oven, not the microwave.

Ingredients:

  • 5 ounces fresh spinach, cut-up
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1- 1 1/2 cups cheese of choice, shredded
  • 2 slices nitrate-free bacon, cook till crisp and crumbled
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a small baking pan. Mine was 10x7-inch.

Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and add the spinach all at once and stir until just wilted, about 1 minute.

Transfer the spinach to the baking pan, spreading evenly over the bottom. Layer cheese and bacon on top.

Pour the eggs over the spinach/cheese combination and salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. 

Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting.

If you do reheat; do so in the oven, rather than the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment