Saturday, May 9, 2020

Curried Rice Pilaf with Apples

























This is tasty. I had apples leftover from baking Apple Bread and saw this recipe. Love, love curry and I do make my own. Madras Curry Powder (blog: 3/6/13 label: spices) But one can certainly purchase curry powder! I used ghee instead of butter, did not add onion or garlic; as the curry flavor for me was enough. I cooked 1 cup Basmati Rice in my Kitchen Aid microwave on the steam mode with 2 cups chicken broth. I then simply added the ghee, curry powder, salt, pepper and cilantro. When ready to serve will add finely chopped apple. Below is the original recipe. In case I want to be "original"!

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
  • 1 small shallot
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt 
  • pepper ,to taste
  • 1 cup uncooked rice ( original: 1 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups chicken broth ( original: 2 1/4)
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion, curry powder, and salt and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. 

Add rice and cook until edges turn translucent, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low and cook till all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. 

Stir in apple and cilantro with a fork. Adjust salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment