Saturday, March 23, 2013

Garam Masala
























I am obsessed with , Healing Spices, a birthday gift from my friend Cathrine. I ended up buying the book with some spices for a Christmas gift for one of my friends. Great book with amazing recipes. It has inspired me to be more creative.

I have been buying the spices at The Spice Shop in Boulder.

Ingredients:


  • 4 tablespoons coriander seeds
  • 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 2 teaspoons brown cardamom seeds
  • 1 three-inch cinnamon stick
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
Directions:

In a small, dry skillet (I use cast iron), over medium heat, separately pan roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, peppercorns and cardamom until lightly browned and slightly fragrant. Turn the seed frequently as they cook so they do not burn. Set on a plate to cool.

Break cinnamon stick into pieces. Put nutmeg and cinnamon in an electric spice grinder and process.
Add the roasted seeds and the cloves and process until a fine powder. 

Keep in an airtight glass container. Will store 6 months or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment